Facebook Digital Sanctuaries


Digital Sanctuaries Locations

Digital Sanctuaries, New York Locations


African Burial Ground

290 Broadway, New York, NY 10007



Once forgotten due to landfill and development, 6.6 acres of burial sites of both free and enslaved Africans were rediscovered in 1991 during the planned construction of a multi-million dollar Federal office building. The site is the largest and only known urban pre-Revolutionary War African cemetery in the country, created following a ban of Africans from the Trinity Church cemetery in the late 17th century. Over time, these grounds became a sacred space for the African community. However, city expansions in the mid 18th century led to an appropriation of the space for landfill and debris from neighboring industries and by the time slavery was abolished in New York, the burial ground had become long forgotten. Today, the location is a National Historic Landmark featuring an outdoor memorial, an indoor memorial and exhibition space, and a variety of activities facilitated by the African Burial Ground Office of Public Education and Interpretation. The outdoor African Burial Ground Monument can be accessed by visitors daily, 9am-5pm, and the indoor memorial/exhibition space is accessible Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-4pm.


Bowling Green Park (National Museum of the American Indian)

1 Bowling Green, New York, NY 10004



The Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) and the George Gustav Heye Center are located in the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House, a National Historic Landmark as well as one of New York’s many Beaux Arts buildings. The museum’s exhibitions and programs explore the diversity of the Native people of the Americas. NMAI’s location by Bowling Green Park is fitting, as the Park once acted as the council ground for Native American tribes. NMAI is free and open to the public daily, 10am-6pm (10am-8pm Thursdays).


Titanic Memorial Park (Entrance to South Street Seaport)

12 Fulton Sreet, New York, NY 10038 (the corner of Fulton Street and Pearl Street)



Titanic Memorial Park is a small park, the center of which is a sixty-foot tall lighthouse. Built in 1913, the memorial serves to remember the people who died on the RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912. The lighthouse was erected partially in thanks to the efforts of Margaret Brown, an American socialite, philanthropist and activist who survived the sinking of the Titanic. The fame surrounding Brown following her survival of the disaster even led to a Broadway musical, The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

Originally located on the roof of the Seamen’s Church Institute of New York and New Jersey, the lighthouse served as a time signal to ships in the harbor as well as a memorial. It wasn’t until 1968 that the Titanic Memorial Lighthouse was donated to the South Street Seaport museum. The lighthouse now stands at the entrance to the museum complex amidst landscaping and a seating area.


South Cove Park

Located between 1st and 3rd Place, Battery Park City, New York, NY



One of Battery Park City’s most popular destinations, South Cove Park is surrounded to the west, north and south by tidal estuary of the Hudson River. The park is located along the scenic Esplanade between 1st and 3rd place, featuring winding walkways, quays, distinctive seaside plantings and views of the harbor. Carefully sited rocks, natural plantings and blue lights along the Esplanade in South Cove coexist with a collaborative public art sculpture by environmental artist Mary Miss, architect Stanton Eckstut and landscape architect Susan Child. Child also designed South Cove.


Teardrop Park

Park Place West, New York, 10282



Located at Park Place West between Warren Street and Murray Street, Teardrop Park was designed by landscape architect Michael Van Walkenberg. The park features “Ice Wall,” a 27-foot bluestone wall meant to evoke a mountainside. “Ice Wall,” designed by Ann Hamilton and Michael Marcil, develops water on its jagged rock face during the summer as well as icicles during the winter. Over 1,900 tons of bluestone, granite and limestone was used in the construction of Teardrop, all of it obtained from New York Hudson Valley towns including Alcove, New Paltz, Delni, and Champlain. There are over 16,871 plants and trees at the park, 88 percent of which is native to New York State.


The Battery Park Labyrinth

Battery Park, New York, NY



Designed by Ariane Burgess of Camino de Paz Labyrinths, the Battery Park Labyrinth is also known as “the Labyrinth for Contemplation.” It was commissioned by the Battery Park Conservancy to commemorate the one year anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy, and is comprised of a walking path outlined with 1148 granite blocks that form seven circular rings. Running approximately 358 feet to the center and 358 out again to the entrance, the labyrinth is meant to encourage contemplation as well as create an internal balance generated by the rhythm of walking.


Castle Clinton Monument




At the southern tip of Battery Park is Castle Clinton National Monument. Built in the early 17th century to defend New York Harbor from a British Invasion, the fort eventually became the city’s first immigration center. Today Castle Clinton is the place to purchase tickets for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island ferry, and a small museum exhibits the site’s storied history.


Peter Minuit Plaza

Battery Place, State Street and Whitehall Street, New York, NY 10004, 10280



Peter Minuit Plaza is New York City’s first 21st century intermodal transportation hub. In spring of 2011, a 1.3-acre park known as the New Amsterdam Plein and Pavilion opened, transforming the transportation hub into just more than a place to get around. It is the City’s first true intermodal center linking ferry, subway and bus. Additionally, it recalls the city’s earliest days as Nieuw Amsterdam while heralding the future.

The stone-paved civic platform’s walkways feature engraved quotations from Russell Shorto’s acclaimed book, The Island at the Center of the World while a carved bronze map of Castello’s 1660 plan for New Amsterdam by sculptor Simon Verity and architect Martha Finney marks the entrance to the Plein and provides a glimpse of the historic evolution of Lower Manhattan. Each night at 12:00, the pavilion glows with an array of colors in tribute to Peter Minuit whose name translates to ‘midnight.’ Minuit was the director of the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam who purchased Manhattan Island for 24 dollars from a group of Lenape Indians in 1626.


India House

1 Hanover Sq., New York, NY 10004



One Hanover Square is one of the earliest surviving Italianate style buildings in Manhattan. It was built in 1854 for the Hanover Bank, the landmark building was used in a variety of ways. In 1871, it was used as the Cotton Exchange. Then it served as the Haitian Consulate at the turn of the 20th century, and finally the structure became India House in 1914. As India House, the space served as a private club and social center for shipping executives and merchants concerned about America’s place in world commerce, conceived by diplomat and writer Willard Straight and the president of United States Steel at the time, James A. Farrell. The name “India House” recalls a time when the Indies represented the focus of Western mercantile interests, and they hired the architects William Adams Delano and Chester Holmes Aldrich to make changes to the building. As of 2003, the building’s façade was completely restored. It still exists as India House Club and also hosts Bayard’s Restaurant.


Pier 15

John Street and Water Street, New York, NY




After nearly a year of construction, Pier 15 opened to the public in January 2013. The pier, located at the end of John Street, extends 500 feet out into the East River and is part of the city’s large-scale makeover of the two-mile East River esplanade. , The esplanade, scheduled for completion in 2013, will extend from the Battery Maritime Building to a couple of blocks north of the Manhattan Bridge. Part of the city Economic Development Corporation’s East River Waterfront project, the esplanade will create a continuous “greenway” from 125th Street all the way down to the Battery. It will feature community programming, sustainable design, bikeways and active recreational space. The new two-level exterior space as the pier is open from 6am to dusk daily.


Louise Nevelson Plaza

Located on William Street between Maiden Lane and Liberty Street, New York, NY 10005



Opened in 1978, Louise Nevelson Plaza was one of the first plazas in New York City to honor a woman and the first to honor an artist. Doris Freedman, founder and then Director of the Public Art Fund, recommended Nevelson to redesign the space. She produced Shadows and Flags for the plaza in 1977. The sculpture park incorporated not only seven of Nevelson’s canonical forms but also trees and benches. The artist specifically designed each element to function as an integral part of the space. Dedicated as Louise Nevelson Plaza in 1978 by David Rockefeller and New York Mayor Edward Koch, the space fell into disrepair over the years. It was restored and reopened in 2010.


New York Stock Exchange

11 Wall Street, New York, NY 10005



The NYSE is the world’s largest stock exchange. It is composed of four rooms used for the facilitation of trading. The NYSE’s building was built in 1903, after the Exchange invited eight of New York City’s leading architects to join in a competition to design a grand new building. George Post’s neoclassical design was chosen. In addition to being a national landmark, the building also features a pediment by John Quincy Adams Ward, entitled “Integrity Protecting the Works of Man.”